Monday 27 November 2017

Lamps

Hi all

maybe one of the most boring titles in blogging history but I hope you enjoy the content at least.  For my urban project I've been wracking my brains on how to add layers of detail without cluttering the piece so much that miniatures can't be used in the games!  To this end I'm always walking the aisles in hobby shops of various types looking for inspiration and often finding it in the most unlikely source.  This is largely the fault of Jez from the blog "Carrion Crow Buffet", who is always doing something spectacular with just a bloody button or something! (no jealousy there at all :-) ). 

So in a shop called "The Range", I found some lovely little beads that I thought I could do something with.  They are pearlescent and vaguely teardrop in shape.  The first thing I did was glue a cocktail stick into the bottom of the bead.


I then cut the stick to size and reached for my trusty glue gun.  Squeezing a roughly round blob of glue onto baking paper, I then stuck the other end of the cocktail stick into the glue, flattening it somewhat.


Once the hot glue cooled and hardened, I took it from the baking paper and voila.


With a touch of black paint....


and in my newly built houses... sorry for the photo




nice and simple detail with a minimal outlay and takes about 5 mins exc drying time.

hope you enjoy
dGG


25 comments:

  1. My first look at this was a bit indifferent. But my SECOND look changed that. This is a really nice idea. So good that I can feel a trip to the range coming on. Set on it's own, or on a piece of grease proof paper it's okay but when you put it with the rest of the terrain it looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it eventually Fred... Lol
      Like i said not awe inspiring but a nice detail non the less.

      Delete
  2. Another great detail Andy, this project has really let your creative juices flow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, i like to unleash the juices now and again 😄

      Delete
  3. very illuminating post Andy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. can never have too many interior lights in your scenics. Strangely, something often overlooked in our games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too Steve, but low level details are often sacrificed for playability

      Delete
  5. Strange how we look at something and think I could turn that into a...
    Very inspiring post dGG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true Joe, I think gamers have a strange view on “rubbish” etc....

      Delete
  6. Straightforward but oh, so very effective, Andy. Marvellous additions to your 3d world :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever there was me expecting really lighting! They add a nice little touch to the houses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 《Something spectacular with just a bloody button or something》 Ah, that would be my Star Trek inspired spaceships, yes? Thanks for the compliment, Andy. Love what you've done with those beads - I'd considered using them as gas mantles for my gas lamps, but felt they were the wrong shape. They could also be used for making 'lava lamps' for that 70's feel. Very inventive and a very simple 'build'. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I initially thought lava lamps Jez! But thought that not everyone would have them 😊. Yes I was referring to your excellent starships

      Delete
  9. Well, that works rather nicely, doesn't it :-) ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so C6, it’s comforting to know I’m not the only one

      Delete